Saturday, August 16, 2008

Food, glorious food....

And the great saying from Oliver Twist is well said..."Food, Glorious Food!" One of the best things about some time on the coast....fresh seafood.

So for those traveling to the Alabama Gulf Coast, here are some recommendations from my personal experience on my latest trip......(I think I missed my calling as a food critic.)

1. LuLu's at HomePort - wonderfully casual food created by Lucy Buffett, sister of singer, songwriter Jimmy Buffett. Lucy has been featured internationally for her "Southern Caviar," "Cheeseburger in Paradise," and my personal favorite, the "Fish Tacos." With live music, outdoor dining and a little something for everyone.

2. The Tin Top Restaurant - fine dining with a casual flair. A little off the beaten path, my first visit will certainly lead to a repeat trip. Of course it came from the chamber folks as a great local recommendation. Located in Bon Secour, just about 15 min from the beach in Gulf Shores, this restaurant is now a favorite. The seafood stuffed grouper with lobster cream sauce, cheese grits and fried green tomatoes was first rate.

3. Sea 'n Suds - I just couldn't resist a trip to this hole in the wall overlooking the beach. When I was in high school, only the cool kids had Sea 'n Suds t-shirts. So, not to be outdone as a teenager, of course I had several. Yet, I guess my childhood immaturity has somehow endeared me to this place. The food is good (fried of course), and its on the beach.

Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like fresh seafood. Glad you had a good time!

Looking to move! said...

So, when did you take this trip. And why didn't you call?

Come on now, we are both the food critics and we can talk and eat at the same time.

Where's the Love!!!